Friday 15 October 2021

Cass Professional Blog

 DFI Day 1

What did I learn that increased my understanding of Manaiakalani kaupapa and pedagogy?

Today was an introduction to the origins of the Manaiakalani kaupapa shared from Dorothy Burt. 

Dorothy had presented this kaupapa at my kura (Devon Intermediate) late last year (2020).

I like the concept of making digital education available for students who have limited access to digital tools and learning due to socio-economic reasons.

What did I learn that could improve my confidence, capability or workflow as a professional?

Having a support network is always beneficial to motivate and provide help if needed. I liked that I could ask the facilitator questions on the spot and have an instant tutorial when needed. 

What did I learn that could be used with my learners?

In these times of increasing learning from home due to lockdowns, having a digital classroom will allow the transitions to be smoother if we have these events.

Although I feel I am fairly competent with using digital tools in the classroom, I learned a few shortcuts and helpful tools that will enhance making digital resources and teaching these to the students.

I am looking forward to increasingly using remove b.g. to remove the background on images and I think my students will enjoy using this tool also. 

At times I have found aspects of formatting google docs clunky but Maria helped me with a really simple shortcut to centre images when formatting that I did not know! It was so unbelievably easy but I have wasted a lot of time in the past tying to format image placement on documents, so I am super happy to utilise this shortcut. 

I am looking forward to trying out the text to talk tool with some of my learners such as a dyslexic boy in my class. I think this could also be utilised as a punctuation tool as well, as the correct punctuation needs to be spoken onto the document.

I also enjoyed the scavenger hunt activity. I didn't quite have time to complete it but the actual concept of doing a scavenger hunt is an optimal way to highlight gaps in my own and my students skill set and I will be using a scavenger hunt on a regular basis to identify skills and skill gaps. 

The explore tool was an awesome shortcut tool to use when working on a document! 

Scavenger Hunt

This was a poster doc we made to have practise with editing images etc.

Mine was a personal poster rather than a school resource, based on my youngest daughter staying with me, so I felt a 'Bathroom Etiquette' poster was appropriate and a bit tongue in cheek to share with her.


What did I learn that could improve my confidence, capability or workflow in my personal life?

I think a combination of the shortcuts and being exposed to even little beneficial tools all benefit ease in workflow and capability. Having time to hands-on practise using the tools during today's workshop builds confidence by doing, and I am more likely to continue to use tools with repetition when I am building confidence to use them.

I believe it is important to be open minded and appreciate that some of the tasks are every day life to me, but even so, enhancing my skillset with new tools and shortcuts upskills me and my students as I like to share what I learn with my class and try new things together as tuakana teina.


8 comments:

  1. Kia ora Cass,
    Great to hear the small tips and tricks are helpful for you to increase your efficiency. Your Bathroom Etiquette poster is a fabulous.
    The Scavenger Hunt doc needs to be shared so 'anyone with the link' can view as I can't see it.

    Ngā mihi,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Cass,
    Sounds like you had a great start to the DFI and have already picked up some tips and tricks to add to your Google Tools kete. Some of the more digitally fluent people on the DFI find that it is the 'tricks' they pick up that save so much time and benefit their workflow greatly. In my view, if you can't figure out how to do something in 10 - 15 mins, ask someone! Looking forward to reading your reflections each week. Nā, M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Cass,
    I have to ask, what was the shortcut that Maria shared for centring your images?
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cass, I love your sense of fun and the way you choose to learn both for your professional and personal life.
    I have so enjoyed the DFI journey with you. I appreciate your willingness to share in our bubble.
    Go well, e hoa.
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cass, I am grateful for the time we had to get to know you. You certainly are a passionate teacher that shows her in-depth knowledge and passion for her students.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cass - it was so lovely to get to know you a little via DFI. My prayers are with your whanau, friends, students and colleagues. May your love be felt by them as they farewell you x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cass, I really enjoyed working with you during our DFI journey. You were fun and inspirational to work alongside. Moe mai ra moe mai ra x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kia ora Cass, You weren't in my bubble but I know of so many who will be missing you. I am thinking of your whānau and your colleagues at this time xx

    ReplyDelete